Home » About
Inspired by ancient wisdom
Why I moved from the external sphere of international development work to the inner field of self-development
Hello! My name is Calodagh McCumiskey. Based in Wexford, I worked for over 15 years at senior management level in aid work in both Africa and Asia.
I now work in the field of self-development and self-exploration, applying wisdom and practices from various traditions, including the Bible, Vedanta, Buddhist philosophy, Yoga, meditation, and various relaxation practices and techniques.
I first visited India, aged seven, on a family holiday. I loved it; the weather, the smells, the sounds, the heat, the snakes, the colours, the vitality – life with the volume turned up.
I attended school in Bahrain for a year. After completing my Leaving Certificate I went to CUD where I studied Economics and Development Studies, followed by developmental and emergency aid work in Angola, Ethiopia, Swaziland, East Timor and India.
Wisdom, grace and understanding
I learned a lot from my travels. I was deeply inspired by the people I met and their capacity to enjoy the present and focus on the future in extremely difficult circumstances. I was intrigued by the ways of life, beliefs, philosophies, rituals and myths the people I met drew their strength from. I was deeply struck by their wisdom, grace and understanding.
During four years in India, I visited 25 of the 29 states, learning from hundreds of teachers and masters of various disciplines.
My many meetings with spiritual teachers and masters from different cultures in Africa and Asia ignited a deep curiosity about their wisdom and way of life. I studied philosophy, ritual and myth from different traditions and in particular Vedic astrology and Yoga. I marvelled at how these great masters, who lived thousands of years ago, understood me better than I understood myself.
What I do
- I teach Japa Meditation and Yoga in Wexford and Waterford. I’m a qualified Sivananda Yoga teacher, and trained in Japa Meditation. I also travel regularly around Ireland and internationally to teach, guide and life-coach.
- I’m an Associate Research Scholar with the Astrologers Trust of India,and regularly consult with Indian astrologers and members of the Trust to deepen my knowledge of the science.
- Through Vedic astrology, I’ve prescribed gems and other spiritual remedies to more than 2,500 clients around the world.
- I’m a co-founder of Spiritual Earth, a company offering ethically sourced, life-enhancing, spiritual and feel-good products and accessories.
- I co-founded East-Meets-West Weddings, which offers weddings, spiritual ceremonies, blessings and tours in India to couples around the world.
I’ll be glad to answer any questions you might have about astrology, Japa Meditation or Yoga, or how I might be able to help you. Just contact me here.